Isolation al la Brazil
During this difficult time, we are all staying at home and saving lives. But thanks to Rodizio Rico on Level 7 of The Cube, you don’t need to completely forego your favourite tipple.
The team at Rodizio Rico are missing creating Caipirinha cocktails for you just as much as you’re missing sipping them, which is why they have decided to share with you the recipe for Brazil’s national, and famously refreshing, drink!
Firstly, you will need the following ingredients:
– 5 limes
– 12 tablespoons golden caster sugar
– 2cm fresh ginger (peeled and finely grated)
– 1kg ice cubes (crushed)
– 70cl Cachaça (or regular vodka if you don’t have any)
– 1 small bunch fresh mint (leaves picked)
Now follow these simple steps and introduce a bit of Brazilian flare into your home this weekend…
1. Roll the limes on your chopping board with the heel of your hand, then cut them into wedges and squeeze the juice into a large 1½ litre jug.
2. Add the sugar and ginger, then use the end of a wooden rolling pin (or similar item) to mix the ingredients.
3. Fill half of the jug with crushed ice and mix again.
4. Tear the mint leaves, add to the bowl and give it a good stir.
5. Have a taste (and if it’s not sweet enough) add some more sugar.
Once you’ve mastered this, it’s time to put your own stamp on it and start adding your favourite flavours. Include two tablespoons of either strawberry or passionfruit puree and a sprinkle of basil for a really refreshing taste of summer.
Remember making mixed drinks and cocktails at home has more to do with keeping a few core items on-hand and less to do with owning every single spirit, mixer and garnish out there. Rodizio Rico understands not everyone will have a restaurant-worthy bar at home, so use what you can, empty the cupboards and make as many substitutions as you need to.
If you’re now ready to unleash your inner mixologist, here’s another simple recipe you can whip up in your kitchen — a Rodizio Rico twist on an old favourite – The Sex on Copacabana.
1) Line up the following (or similar) ingredients:
– 50ml Vodka
– 25ml Peach Schnapps
– 15ml Grenadine
– 50ml Cranberry Juice
– 2 oranges (juiced) plus 2 slices to garnish
– Glacě Cherries to garnish (optional)
2) Pour the Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Cranberry Juice, and Grenadine into a jug.
3) Stir the contents for 90 seconds (or to the Brazilian National Anthem if you know it!!)
4) Divide the mixture between two cocktail glasses and gently stir.
5) Add as much juiced orange as you like.
6) Garnish with the cocktail cherries and orange slices.
7) You’re ready to enjoy!
We hope you enjoy your cocktail masterclass at home. Rodizio Rico is looking forward to welcoming you all back soon, but for now stay indoors and stay safe.
At The Cube