Camera’s at the Ready
Following on from the successes and positive feedback of previous years, The Cube is launching it’s third ‘Photographer of the Year’ competition, and this year, we’ve partnered with the West Midlands Photography Collective and 2017 winner Fay Loewy.
Open to photographers of all skill levels and ages, the competition opens on Monday 5th November, with judges looking for stand-out images of The Cube which show creative and interesting perspectives.
Each photographer can enter up to three images in the competition with the hope of winning the title of ‘The Cube Photographer of the Year 2018’, as well as a trophy and a meal for four at Bardolino’s on Level 7 of The Cube.
Running for two weeks, the competition closes at midnight on Sunday 18th November 2018. Entries should be uploaded to Instagram using the hashtag #cubephotocomp2018, with entrants following both The Cube (@thecubebirmingham) and West Midlands Photography Collective (@WestMidsPhotoCollective).
All entries will be judged by the West Midlands Photography Collective, with the winning photograph being selected from the top ten by Ken Shuttleworth, the architect behind The Cube.
Last year’s winner, Fay Loewy, said “I had only been pursuing photography for a year prior to entering the 2017 competition, purchasing my first camera just six months before I submitted the winning image. Being named ‘The Cube Photographer of the Year 2017’ gave me confidence in my skills, which is why I’m so keen to support this year’s competition alongside the West Midlands Photography Collective. I want to encourage others to take part, regardless of their photography background, as I’m proof that you do not have to be a professional to win.”
Loewy’s winning image captured a bicycle cycling through the reflection of The Cube in a puddle. Judges were impressed by the interesting angle of the photograph, with Doug Wattleworth, senior building manager at The Cube, identifying that the creativity behind the shot highlights “how the unmistakable design of the building can be seen from all over the city, sometimes even when you are not expecting to see the building.”
We look forward to seeing all the wonderful photography entrees – don’t forget to use #cubephotocomp2018.
Competition Terms and Conditions
- The Cube Photographer of the Year 2018 competition is organised by The Cube, Wharfside Street, Birmingham, B1 1RS.
- This competition is open to amateur and professional photographers, excluding employees of The Cube, their agents or anyone else connected with the promotion.
- All information detailing how to enter this competition forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules.
- The decision of the judges is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- Entrants should submit their photograph(s) by uploading the image to their own Instagram profile using the hashtag #cubephotocomp2018. Entrants must be following The Cube on Instagram (@thecubebirmingham) and West Midlands Photography Collective on Instagram (@WestMidsPhotoCollective).
- All entries must be received by midnight on Sunday 18th November 2018.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other photographic competition. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws. Entrants must warrant that the photograph they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it.
- Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to The Cube to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites, social media channels and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.
- Entrants may submit up to three images for the competition. Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties.
- The winning entry will be judged to be the most visually appealing, original and self-explanatory. The winner will be informed by Monday 3rd December 2018.
- One entrant shall win a trophy and the title of: The Cube Photographer of the Year 2018. The prize is non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives.
- The winner may be required to take part in publicity.
At The Cube